Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Major

Just spoke with professor Scott Hessels a while ago with Miaoqin, with regards to taking digital filmmaking as the major for year 2. He asked us whether we had our minds set on taking filmmaking as the major quite a long time ago or just only.

To think of it, I came into SADM with the idea of either taking digital filmmaking or digital animation as the major when I'm in year 2. Guessed the idea and the mindset has not wavered and it's kind of a good thing. Visual communications is definitely not my forte and I certainly can't forsee myself going into vis comm. And neither is product design.

Mindset of taking film as major became stronger as the period of choosing major gets closer. It's not that I hate animation. I like it but just don't really like the modelling and rendering part (for 3D animation). 2D animation is still fine, except you have to look for the scripting and everything.

However, there's quite a strong competition when taking film as the major. There's Miaoqin, who has lots of ideas and can come up with them on the spot, as well as able to express them well in interesting ways. There's Andy and Alicia, who comes from filmmaking courses in polytechnics, thus having no doubts they will do well in film. Sam, who is talented in creating funny short clips.

Competition's strong, and sometimes, I would wonder if I have the talent. I guess it's how I express myself. I may express it in a different way, and definitely for everyone. However, the way that I express myself, would people be able to comprehend? Would I be able to come up with a good script that carries out my thoughts? Would people be able to understand the films I'm going to do in the future?

There's so many 'ifs' that I don't think I can answer. I guess time will tell.

Although there are lots of uncertainties, I'm still looking forward to learning filmmaking in year 2, which is soon. Unlike the previous time which I helped Cheng Zhen in his film elective last time, we gotta handle the dolly, big crane, steadfast cam etc by ourselves (as mentioned by professor Scott Hessels). Previously, they had professionals helping them. This means the task will be more challenging.

Need a wider social circle of friends. Need to contact everyone on the contact list in the modile phone. Need people's help soon.

*P.S.* Friends who are reading this entry, pleass do lend a helping hand in the future should I need any assistance in my filming or whatever, e.g. casts, cameraman/woman, lights etc. Would gladly appreciate it and grateful to you eternally.

Music: Dangerous Mind - DBSK

No comments: